What is a municipal service?
The South African Constitution states that municipalities have the responsibility to make sure that all citizens are provided with services to satisfy their basic needs.
Municipalities must make sure that people in their areas have at least the basic services they need.
There are a large number of services that they provide, the most important of which are:
- Water supply
- Sewage collection and disposal
- Refuse removal
- Electricity and gas supply
- Municipal health services
- Municipal roads and storm water drainage
- Street lighting
- Municipal parks and recreation
These services have a direct and immediate effect on the quality of the lives of the people in that community.